Hucclecote was formerly a hamlet in the ancient parish of Churchdown, and lies East South East of Gloucester, with its main settlement located 4.25km from the city’s central crossroads on Ermin Street, the Roman road between Gloucester and Cirencester.
In 1066 Hucclecote and Churchdown were distinct manors belonging to St. Oswald’s church, Gloucester, and later they were part of the archbishop of York’s barony of Churchdown. The Doomsday Book contains a reference to Hucclecote.
Settlement in the hamlet was scattered and the names Noke, a loose collection of farmsteads and cottages at the foot of Churchdown Hill on lanes leading from the village to Churchdown and the hilltop church and Wood Hucclecote given to two clusters of houses indicate the once wooded nature of the landscape. Hucclecote village grew along Ermin Street west of Churchdown Lane and had a chapel at least until 1289. Eight people at Hucclecote were assessed for “the subsidy” (taxation) in1327 with a further 4 in the settlement of Wood Hucclecote, which was to the south-east, and was perhaps that called Little Hucclecote in 1243.
Hucclecote village, the principal settlement in the hamlet, grew up on Ermin Street. The road, which linked Gloucester with Oxford and London, was a turnpike through the village twice between1698,and 1871.
In 1801 Hucclecote’s population was 234, by1831, following the building of many new houses, it had risen to 465, but in the mid-19th century it fell a little and was 429 in 1871. In 1891, when the village was becoming primarily a dormitory of Gloucester, 459 people lived in Hucclecote.
Hucclecote was regarded as a separate civil parish by the mid-19th century. Its development has been greatly influenced by the course of Ermin Street through its middle and by the proximity of Gloucester. With from the late 1890s many houses being built for people working in the city, however it still retained a predominantly rural character in other parts into the 1980s.
As a village with much passing road traffic Hucclecote had several inns. A man was brewing and selling ale there in 1451, and inns were recorded from 1598 with names that included the Fiery Beacon in 1638 and the General Woodin 1726. The latter may have had an outdoor bowling alley and was possibly the inn called the Royal Oak in 1841. Further east the Wagon and Horses, recorded in 1767, and was evidently kept by one of three victuallers licensed in the hamlet in1755. At Fair Mile the Victoria inn had opened by 1846 and at Elmbridge there was a beer retailer in 1863. The Royal Oak, which in 1957 changed premises, and the Wagon and Horses and Victoria, both rebuilt c. 1900, still survive.
The original parish council was formed in December 1894 and covered the whole area of Hucclecote. In April 1967, the construction of the M5 motorway effectively cut the parish in two; the part of Hucclecote below the motorway bridge towards Gloucester was taken into the boundary of Gloucester City. The remainder of Hucclecote stayed as part of the Rural District Council. In 1974 Tewkesbury Borough Council was formed from the old Tewkesbury Town Council, part of Cheltenham Rural District Council and part of Gloucester Rural District Council
Gloucestershire Aircraft Company (GAC) was registered in 1917 working from sites in Cheltenham but using the Air Board’s aircraft acceptance park at Hucclecote for testing. Between 1925 and 1929 the GAC moved 1000 of its staff from Cheltenham to the site in Hucclecote. In 1926 it changed its name to Gloster Aircraft Company. In 1934 The Hawker Aircraft Company took over control of GAC. During World War II, GAC produced 200 Henlys, 2750 Hurricanes, 3300 Typhoons and over 200 Meteor jet fighters. In 1941 George Carter, in conjunction with Sir Frank Whittle, constructed, produced and test flew the E28/39 at this site; this was the first jet engine aircraft ever to be flown by Britain or any of its allies. The site closed in 1964 and became a trading estate. In the late 80’s the trading estate closed and was then redeveloped into the Gloucester Business Park. Some of the land was sold off for housing and retail units such as Tesco. The Cranham Gate housing estate was developed in the early 90’s and the Coopers Edge development commenced after planning permission was given in 2005.
The Parish of Hucclecote is a now Civil Parish as it no longer has a church within it’s boundary.